– Annabelle as a movie franchise has an interesting history. Initially the doll was part of the movie The Conjuring (and it’s sequel The Conjuring 2) and at that time vaguely based on a true object when The Conjuring was vaguely based on a true story. Then came the spin-off of the Annabelle doll into it’s own story with Annabelle (which is based on a Raggedy Ann doll not some weird porcelain doll from hell). Now with Annabelle: Creation the story is completely made up with no basis in reality at all.
In Annabelle: Creation, a former toy maker and his wife take in a nun and 6 orphan girls into their secluded California farmhouse. The couple had previously lost their 7-year-old daughter in a car crash and apparently the doll is possessed by her evil spirit. Because that makes sense. Maybe don’t invite people to stay over at your haunted house when you already know it’s a problem.
– Stars Stephanie Sigman, Talitha Bateman, Lulu Wilson, Anthony LaPaglia, and Miranda Otto. Directed by David F. Sandberg. Rated R.
The Glass Castle
– A movie based on the the longtime New York Times Bestseller “The Glass Castle” about author Jeanette Walls childhood with her family as they travel the country with periods in near condemned houses and homelessness, but her and her 3 other siblings survived their terrible parents.
– Stars Brie Larson, Woody Harrelson, Max Greenfield, Sarah Snook, and Naomi Watts. Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton. Rated PG-13.
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
– Somehow, the original Nut Job did well enough not only to get a sequel but move from the desert of the middle of January in 2014 to mid August in 2017. While August is still a lower release time, it is definitely a big step up from January. This time Surly and his animal friends discover a a plan by the mayor of Oakton to change the large park they live in and change it into a dangerous amusement park (which I can’t think of how in the world that would ever get approved or have the ability to move build the park that fast). The animal gang gets help from a mouse gang led by the “cute” Mr. Feng. The only positive is that Mr. Feng is voiced by Jackie Chan. I’m personally still shocked this got a sequel.
– Stars Will Arnett, Maya Rudolph, Jackie Chan, Katherine Heigl, Bobby Moynihan, Bobby Cannavale, Isabela Moner, Jeff Dunham, Gabriel Iglesias, Tom Kenny, Kari Walhgren. Directed by Cal Brunker. Rated PG.