War for the Planet of the Apes
– The third film in the reboot of the Planet of the Apes franchise after Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Caesar and his army of apes continue to clash again with a group of humans. When the apes suffer heavy losses, Caesar starts to muse with his darker instincts and thinking about avenging his kind.
– Stars Andy Serkis, Steve Zahn, Karin Konoval, Terry Notary, Ty Olsson, Judy Greer, Sara Canning, Max Lloyd-Jones, Devyn Dalton, Michael Adamthwaite, Aleks Paunovic, Toby Kebbell, Woody Harrelson, Amiah Miller, Gabriel Chavarria. Directed by Matt Reeves. Rated PG-13.
The Big Sick
– Originally released at the Sundance Film Festival then with a limited release on June 23, 2017; The Big Sick is expanding nationwide this week. The Big Sick is loosely based on the life of Kumail Nanjiani and his wife, Emily V Gordon. Kumail (played by Kumail) is a Pakistani comic struggling with meeting the expectations of his parents who want to force him into an arranged marriage while he has started a relationship with an American graduate student, Emily, though they eventually break up. When Emily becomes extremely sick and falls into a coma. While they wait for her to recover, Kumail bonds with her mother and father. So far The Big Sick has fantastic reviews so if you’re in the mood for a romantic comedy, this is one to check out.
– Stars Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano, Adeel Akhtar, Zenobia Shroff, Anupam Kher, Bo Burnham, Aidy Bryant, Rebecca Naomi Jones, and Kurt Braunohler. Directed by Michael Showalter. Rated R.
– A new horror film about a girl who is given a music box that can grant wishes. But in usual monkey paw fashion, it starts to kill those closest to her in gruesome ways and she has to stop it before it’s too late.
– Stars Joey King, Ki Hong Lee, Sydney Park, Elisabeth Rohm, and Ryan Phillipe. Directed by John R. Leonetti. Rated PG-13.