– A biopic about the life of Edward Snowden (based on real life events and a couple of biographies) and what makes the security contractor leave the NSA and become a whistleblower by leaking classified documents on the illegal (as in not public and unauthorized by the Congress) spying on American citizens dispute assurances by the NSA that it was only gathering intelligence against terrorist groups. Upon his release of the information, Edward Snowden becomes a wanted man and some praise him as a hero and some revile him as a traitor.
– Stars Keith Stanfield, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Shailene Woodley, Melissa Leo, Zachary Quinto, Tom Wilkinson, Rhys Ifans, Joely Richardson, and Timothy Olyphant. Directed by Oliver Stone. Rated R.
Bridget Jones’s Baby
– The third Bridget Jones movie and 12 years since the last film, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Bridget Jones is single again and ends up having a relationship both with a rich American named Jack and her ex Mark that results in her becoming pregnant. But because she had a relationship with both close together at the same time, she is not able to tell which of them is the father. While the other Bridget Jones movies have been based on novels by Helen Fielding, Bridget Jone’s Baby seems to be an original movie even though there is a third Bridget Jones book. Bridget Jones’s Baby has also gotten some notoriety because it features the return of Renée Zellweger after a long hiatus from acting and people commenting on how different she looks after returning to the public eye.
– Stars Renée Zellweger, Colin Firth, Patrick Dempsey, Sally Phillips, James Callis, Shirley Henderson, Sarah Solemani, Neil Pearson, Emma Thompson, Jim Broadbent, Gemma Jones, Celia Imrie, Jessica Hynes, Ed Sheeran, and Erron Gordon. Directed by Sharon Maguire. Rated R.
– Blair Witch is the sequel that I’m not sure that anyone really asked for. The original Blair Witch Project was released in 1999 and its sequel in 2000. To keep the production of the movie a secret (though you would think you’d want something to help kick up demand) the film was actually produced under the fake name of “The Woods.” In this direct sequel to the Blair Witch Project, with the brother of previous victim Heather, James, and his friends return to the woods where she went missing. They are joined by locals in search of Heather, but they soon discover that the legends are true and they should have stayed out of the woods. Which is what they find out in every horror movie.
– Stars James Allen McCune, Callie Hernandez, Brandon Scott, Valorie Curry, Corbin Reid, and Wes Robinson. Directed by Adam Wingard. Rated R.